Distance Learning Course
22 September 2020
01 December 2020
Tuesday between 19:00 and 21:00
Between 10 and 12 learners.
NOTE: This course has already started.
What will I be learning?
- Understand spoken language and communicate confidently in a variety of situations
- Interact with native speakers with a degree of fluency and spontaneity
- Initiate discussions, express and justify your opinion
- Produce clear, detailed text on a wide range of subjects
- Explain a viewpoint on a topical issue giving the advantages and disadvantages of various options
- Understand the main ideas of complex text on both concrete and abstract topics in authentic materials
- Deepen knowledge of customs, traditions and culture of the countries where the language is spoken
An example of topics which may be included in the course:
- Asking someone or giving advice about facilities and making arrangements
- Describing situations
- Discussing hobbies/weekends/work matters/family/holidays
- Hiring a car, bike,boat
- Obtaining information in a varied range of situations.
- Planning activities at home/work/on holiday
- Requests, problems and complaints at a shop or restaurant
- Taking part in discussions
These will vary slightly from course to course; your tutor will provide exact content after speaking with the group and establishing preferences.
What can I expect to be doing in classes?
Taking part in activities together, in pairs and small groups to
- Learn new vocabulary
- Create dialogues
- Practise listening and speaking
- Participate in games and quizzes
- Complete reading and writing exercises
- Ask questions, discuss and understand key language, culture and communication concepts all along the way
In order to be able to participate in this course you must:
- Have access to regular, stable internet connection
- Have access to a PC/Laptop. Occasionally you may need to use your smartphone/tablet as a backup for the class, but this will not support all the features that are required to participate effectively in the classes.
- Have an up-to-date email address and be able to confidently communicate via email.
If you are not able to meet these requirements, please discuss with our Admin Staff about the possibility of enrolling on a centre-based class. Face to face delivery may become an option depending on government guidelines as well as centre availability.
Additional Information / How will I learn?
The class will be either 1.5 or 2hrs, once a week. It will be a mixture of online delivery (via Zoom) and distance learning (via email). At enrolment, you need to provide a current email address.
In addition, you will be expected to complete some independent study outside the class. Your tutor will advise you according to your goals and progress.
If you have not used Zoom before, you need to familiarise yourself with the basics.
Prior to starting the class, you will need to have read the DALS Zoom guidance policy. This will be sent to you via email and you will need to reply to your tutor to confirm you have read and accepted the policy.
You can expect
- A confidence building environment
- Regular contact with your tutor
- Meet like-minded people and practise your new skills and knowledge together
Home Study and Learning Resources
- Time to consolidate learning at your own pace
- Activity sheets, learning projects, online resources and/or set books as advised by your tutor
How will I know how I am progressing during the course?
At DALS, we use an Individual Learning Plan (ILP) to set and review targets and provide feedback, enabling continual reflection and evaluation throughout the course. Learners will also receive verbal and/or written feedback on marked work. Learners will use their ILP to help track and monitor their own progress towards set goals, to support personal development and achievement.
Does the course lead to a qualification?
There is no formal exam, although there is continual evaluation throughout the course. This course does not lead to a qualification, but it can be very helpful on your way to a qualification course in the future.
Who is the course for?
Those who have already studies this language at the intermediate level
Are there any additional costs?
Can I have help in the class?
At enrolment, it is important that you tell us if you have a learning difficulty or disability and require support. Learners declaring a support need will be referred for an assessment. If an enhanced support need is confirmed, a Support Package will be offered, to assist your progress in your learning and development, specific to your assessed needs.
How is this course supported by DerbyLearn?
DerbyLearn is a learning platform that supports and complements most classes. To find out more, please go to www.derbylearn.net and sign up, it's free and well worth a look!
Progression within DALS
On completion of this course, you could progress to:
- the next term / level of this language
- a beginners course in a new language
Health and Wellbeing
The slogan you see on our brochures and leaflets is: meet enjoy learn achieve .
This is because we believe that taking part in adult and community learning can open the door to new friendships, give you something enjoyable and worthwhile to do with your time, enable you to learn something new and give you a sense of achievement. That's got to make you feel good!
We have a number of rewarding volunteering opportunities both within DALS and with other organisations. These can offer you a number of benefits, including the ability to enhance your employment prospects, and the ability to learn whilst supporting others. If you are interested in finding out more about volunteering opportunities, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also find information on volunteering opportunities on our noticeboards and website.
Distance Learning Course
Derby Adult Learning Service, Online Learning Course, DE0 0NA
You can enrol onto this course now using our online secure website. Enrol Now
If you would like more information about this course or wish to enrol, please contact via:
Derby Adult Learning Service, Online learning course, DE24 9DE Find Us
Send your enrolment enquiry to DALSenquiries@derby.gov.uk.
For more information about this course, please contact us on 01332 956565.
Advice and short courses now available to jobseekers.