Village Learning Centre
Preparation for life
Entry Level 1
16 September 2019
16 June 2020
Monday between 12:30 and 15:00
Tuesday between 12:30 and 15:00
Between 8 and 10 learners.
NOTE: This course has already finished.
ESOL Pre-Entry E1
What will I be learning?
Speaking and Listening
- Introduce yourself
- Spell your name
- Ask simple questions – e.g. What’s your name? / How old are you? / Where are you from?
- Answer simple questions – e.g. My name is … / I’m …… years old. / I am from …….
- Say where you live (full address)
- Learn names of objects, food, etc.
- Describe your house
- Ask for items
- Ask for and give basic directions – e.g. Turn left/right, etc.
- Follow basic instructions
- Learn the alphabet
- Learn and recognise simple words
- Read simple notices
- Read and understand simple sentences
- Read names of objects, food etc.
- Read basic instructions
- Write the alphabet
- Write your name and address
- Write names of objects, food etc.
- Write about yourself in simple sentences (5-6)
- Fill in a simple form
- Learn punctuation rules (capital letters, full stops, question marks etc.)
- Verbs: be, have, do
- Modal: can
- Present Simple and Continuous (basics)
- Linking word: and, but
- Simple questions and negatives
- Basic adjectives
Does the course lead to a qualification?
No formal qualification at pre-entry. After your pre-entry course you can progress onto Entry 1 and gain a qualification (reading, writing, speaking and listening).
Entry 1: City and Guilds ESOL qualification at Entry 1 (reading, writing, speaking and listening)
Who is the course for?
The course is for learners meeting certain eligibility criteria who want to improve their English Language skills.
All learners must meet at least one of the eligibility criteria before they can join this course:
- Evidence of being an EU citizen – a passport or an EU identity card
- Evidence of a Refugee status
- Evidence of being an Asylum Seeker living in the UK for over 6 months
- Evidence of living in the UK for 3 years or more if not married to a British National
- Evidence of living in the EU for 3 years or more if from a non EU country
What do I need to bring?
Pen, paper, folder and a dual language dictionary
Are there any additional costs?
Exam cost for fee payers - £21.20 per unit
How will I know how I am progressing during the course?
Your tutor will keep a written record of your Individual Learning Plan (ILP) and progression throughout the course you are attending. You will also have continuous verbal feedback on your progression.
How is this course supported by DerbyLearn?
DerbyLearn is a learning platform that supports and complements most classes. To find out more, please go to www.derbylearn.net and sign up, it's free and well worth a look!
Progression within DALS
We have lots of courses planned to ensure you have a variety of progression routes. If you are interested in another course, please ask for more information or telephone our helpline on 01332 717900 or email@example.com
On completion of this course, you could progress to:
- the next level of ESOL
Health and Wellbeing
The slogan you see on our brochures and leaflets is:
meet enjoy learn achieve
This is because we believe that taking part in adult and community learning can open the door to new friendships, give you something enjoyable and worthwhile to do with your time, enable you to learn something new and give you a sense of achievement. That's got to make you feel good!
We have a number of rewarding volunteering opportunities both within DALS and with other organisations. These can offer you a number of benefits, including the ability to enhance your employment prospects, and the ability to learn whilst supporting others. If you are interested in finding out more about volunteering opportunities, please contact the Helpline on 01332 717900 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also find information on volunteering opportunities on our noticeboards and website.
Village Learning Centre
Browning Street, Derby, DE23 8DN
Ample Car Parking
Ample Cycle Parking
Disabled Access to
Ground Floor only
Disabled Parking available
From the city centre, take A5250 road (Burton Rd),go along to the main crossroads with A5111 (Ring Road), turn left on A5111 Warwick Ave, take 2nd exit (straight over) at roundabout, continue and then take 1st right onto Village St and then we are on the left hand side next to Village Primary School. 01332 711371
Arriva No. 7 from the bus station and Arriva No. 5 and 5A from Babington Lane